Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Johnny Farnham - Comic Conversation

Yes it's 1970 so he was still Johnny. A lovely song displaying his excellent voice. Apparently written by a young bloke (not JF) who had - in real life - just finished up his first serious romance. He then imagined what it would be like to meet her again, some years later and how they'd interact.  The lyrics and music soar nicely with this:

I'd like to spin a web
And wrap you in its silver thread and
Feel you sway

But then it gets slightly awkward with:

There isn't going to be a happy ending
I think I should be going soon
I can't keep on pretending

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Possibly it was teenage angst poetry. And who hasn't BTDT?    I have 2 versions to enjoy. Firstly the original:
And now the Big Hair edition. Live in concert, some years later with my local MSO helping out:
 I think the James Rayne did a version too.

No comments:

Post a Comment